GoodGuides® Science Camp
GoodGuides Science Camp
The camp provides youth ages 10 -12 with a yearlong, fun filled, interactive experience. Using a STEM based curriculum, youth participate in summer camp as well as monthly sessions during the school year. Participating youth are offered the opportunity to be matched with an adult volunteer mentor in a structured and supportive relationship.
Youth, grades 5 -7, will benefit from a fun-filled, hands-on experience, including:
- New experiments each month with “Mr. K” that will make Science come to life.
- Tutoring available in Math and Science for camp attendees.
- Refreshments will be served.
Limited spaces are available so sign up now! Contact Jaleesa Young at (540) 581.0620 ext. 1158 | email@example.com
The GoodGuides Science Camp program is offered to individuals living in the city of Roanoke.
Mentor Requirements for Youth Mentoring
The mentoring program uses adult volunteers committed to supporting, guiding, and being a friend to a young person for a period of at least one year. By becoming part of the social network of adults and community members who care about the youth, the mentor can help youth develop and reach positive academic, career, and personal goals.
- At least 21 years of age (at least 16 years old for peer mentors).
- Background Check including criminal, National Child Abuse Registry Sexual Offender Registry, and driving record
- Adhere to all GoodGuides policies and procedures
- Agree to a one-year commitment to the program
- Commit to spending a minimum of 4 hours a month with the mentee
- Willing to communicate with the mentee weekly
- Participate in additional career-focused activities with mentees, up to 2 hours per month
- Complete screening interview, orientation, initial training, and on-going mentor training as required
- Communicate regularly with the Mentor Coordinator and submit monthly meeting and activity information
- Access to reliable transportation to reach mentoring locations
- No excessive use of alcohol
- Not currently in treatment for substance abuse or if substance abuse has occurred in the past, the applicant must have completed a non-addictive period of at least five years
- Not currently under treatment for a mental disorder or have been hospitalized for a mental disorder in the past three years