WIA Title I Dislocated Worker
Goodwill operates the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) Title I Dislocated Worker programs for multiple Workforce Investment Boards in Virginia. The program is designed to provide services to assist individuals, who have lost their job due to company closing or layoff, in obtaining employment.
Core services are offered to all dislocated workers with no eligibility requirements at Virginia Workforce Centers and Satellite Offices. These services include:
- Job search and placement assistance, including career counseling
- Labor market information identifying job vacancies, skills necessary for occupations in demand, and relevant employment trends in the local, regional, and national economies.
- Initial assessment of skills and needs
- Information on available services and programs
- Follow up services to assist in job retention
Dislocated workers who are unable to find employment through core services may be eligible for intensive services.
To qualify for intensive services individiuals must meet one of the following criteria:
- has been terminated, laid off or lost job due to company closing and is receiving or has exhausted unemployment insurance compensation
- self-employed and is no longer able to maintain
- displaced homemaker who has been providing unpaid services to family members in home and has been dependent on the income of another family member
In cases where individuals are still not able to find jobs, they may receive training services which are directly linked to job opportunities in their local area. Training may include:
- Occupational skills training
- On the job training
- Skills upgrading
Supportive services may be available to eligible participants and may include:
- Child care
- Transporation assistance
- Work related attire
- Other services may be available based on funding
For more information on the WIA Title I Dislocated Worker Program, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (540) 581.0620 option 5.