Goodwill operates Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) programs for several Workforce Investment Boards in Virginia. As part of the WIOA program, Goodwill is able to provide internship opportunities to benefit both the employer and the job seeker.
The Internship, provided by WIOA programs, is designed to bring WIOA participants together with local businesses that have job openings to fill. Participants are placed in rewarding internship experiences within the private sector business community, with the expectation that the participant will be hired if (s)he performs as expected.
The program is building a talented workforce for the future and assisting participants in gaining valuable work experience that may lead to permanent full-time employment. These internships help build the individual’s employability and both professional and occupational skills sets. This skill development yields employees who possess both the hard and soft skills required by today’s workforce.
Benefits to Employers
- There is no cost to the participating business. All wages and liability insurance are provided by WIOA programs during participation.
- Interns are screened prior to placement.
- The participating business receives on-going support from WIOA staff to address any questions or concerns during the internship process. Staff monitors the internship on a periodic basis to assure a positive and mutually beneficial partnership between the business, intern, and WIOA program.
- The internship provides the business an opportunity to observe the participant as a candidate for the open position.
- If hired, the program will continue to support the participant to assure job retention and success through career guidance/planning.
How the Internship Works
- The total number of hours of participation is determined by the difficulty of the position and the current skill set of the intern. This will be a set number of hours and will be determined by WIOA staff.
- The intern is allowed to work up to 40 hours per week.
- A worksite agreement will be completed and signed by both the participating business and WIOA staff.
- The intern is paid an incentive in lieu of a wage per hour, which is based on the difficultly of the position.
For more information on Internships email email@example.com or call (540) 581.0620, Option 5.