- In This Section
- Story Ideas Form
Looking for a Good News Story or a way for your audience to get involved in the community? Some happenings at Goodwill® that might interest you:
- Thanks for Giving – Throughout 31 County Territory in Virginia
- GoodGuides® Fall Fun Day – Roanoke Area
- Winter Wonderland Sale – Forest Goodwill Store
- Treasure Hunt – Roanoke, Covington, Rocky Mount Area
- Where’s EDGAR – Roanoke, Covington, Rocky Mount Area
- Retooling for Employment: Six Week Course – Roanoke Area
- Earn a Microsoft Office Digital Literacy Certificate – Roanoke Area
- PluggedInVA – Buena Vista
- Conversation Group for Hispanic Women Grupo de Conversación para la mujer hispana – Roanoke Area
- Goodwill Halloween Costume Contest – Throughout 31 County Territory in Virginia
- Goodwill GoodGuides® Mentor Training – Roanoke
- Reality Check – Throughout 31 County Territory in Virginia
- Job Seeker Events – Roanoke & Lynchburg Area
For more information on any of the stories listed below please contact:
Kelly Coleman, Vice President of Marketing
Office: (540) 581.0620 ext. 107
Cell Phone: (540) 525.5728
Elizabeth Milne, Marketing and Community Development Manager
Office: (540) 581.0620 ext. 174
Cell Phone: (540) 613.2481
Thanks for Giving
At this time of year we want to Thank YOU for supporting Goodwill throughout the year.
Your support throughout the year enables Goodwill to assist youth, adults, and seniors who need training and employment assistance to get back to work and gain greater independence.
To learn more about Goodwill’s programs click here.
To find a Goodwill Retail Store near you click here.
To find a Donation center near you click here.
Join Goodwill’s GoodGuides Youth Mentoring Program for a Day of Family Fun!
Saturday, November 1st
10am – 4pm
Goodwill Melrose Jobs Campus – 2502 Melrose Ave., NW
There will be activities for kids of all ages with local organizations and businesses, food vendors, music, and much more!
Bring a donation and help youth enrolled in GoodGuides to support the Goodwill Mission.
For more information contact Catherine Long at 540.529.4871 or email@example.com
Winter Wonderland Sale
Sale begins November 1st at our Forest Goodwill Store (Upstairs) – 18366 Forest Rd., Forest
– Holiday Home Decor
– Holiday Decorations
– Christmas Trees
Monday – Saturday: 10am to 6pm
Sunday: Noon to 4pm
*Items and special pricing available while supplies last!
Discover the Buried Treasure and You May Strike Gold!
Your treasure hunt will lead you to local Goodwill stores where you will search for the buried treasure.
The Hunt Begins November 2nd through November 8th
The following stores will be participating:
– Bassett: 5833 Virginia Ave.
– Covington: 1252 South Craig St.
– Daleville: 125 Commons Pkwy.
– Martinsville: 284 Commonwealth Blvd.
– Moneta: 13697 Booker T. Washington Hwy.
– Roanoke: 3206 Electric Rd.
– Roanoke: 6315 Archcrest Dr.
– Roanoke: 4335 Pheasant Ridge Rd.
– Roanoke: 2502 Melrose Ave.
– Roanoke: 3418 Orange Ave.
– Rocky Mount: 1045 North Main St.
– Salem: 1493 E. Main St.
– Salem Outlet: 1493 E. Main St.
– Salem: 1830 West Main St.
– Vinton: 907 Hardy Rd.
Treasure Hunters will be entered to win:
1st Place: $250 Visa Gift Card
2nd Place: $50 Goodwill Gift Certificate
3rd Place: $25 Goodwill Gift Certificate
Click here for the full terms and conditions.
Want to meet Goodwill’s Superhero, EDGAR?
He will be at two Goodwill Stores on November 8th.
Want to know what stores EDGAR will be at?
Visit our Facebook Page throughout the week of November 2nd through November 8th.
Be on the look out for #EDGARClues . . .they will lead you to EDGAR!
A FREE six-week course to help you improve your skills for employment.
During the six week course you will:
- make a career plan
- learn basic computer skills
- enhance your professional skills
- learn to use digital technology
- complete an employment portfolio
- learn effective job search techniques
- create an account with Virginia Workfoce Connection
- earn employment readiness badges
- earn a Microsoft Office Digital Literacy Certificate
- network with local employers
Dates and Times:
October 7th through November 14th
Every Tuesdays & Thursdays from 8:30am to 10am
Fridays from 8:30am to 2pm with an open computer lab from 2:30pm to 4pm
To see a full listing of courses offered during this six-week course visit our Job Seeker Workshops Page.
Roanoke Jobs Campus – 2502 Melrose Ave., NW, Suite B, Roanoke, VA
This six-week course is sponsored by Bank of America. If you are interested in more information or to register, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 540.581.0620 ext. 213. Seats are limited, so register today!
In addition to the Retooling for Employment program, individuals can choose to take the Microsoft Office Digital Literacy Certificate course, separately.
Dates: Every Friday starting October 10th through November 14th
Times: 8:30am to 2pm
Location: Roanoke Jobs Campus – 2502 Melrose Ave., NW, Suite B, Roanoke, VA
This FREE six-week course is sponsored by Bank of America. If you are interested in more information or to register, please contact email@example.com or 540.581.0620 ext. 213. Seats are limited, so register today!
Looking for a Career? An opportunity awaits you!
PluggedInVA is a short-term program where you will get on the pathway to an exciting career that can take you places.
All classes are held at Dabney S. Lancaster Community College Rockbridge Regional Center in Buena Visa.
Classes are only four days a week!
You may be eligible for tuition assistance and supportive services.
Program begins November 10th. Register today by calling 540.463.7386
Conversation Group for Hispanic Women Grupo de Conversación para la mujer hispana
Would you like to improve your English speaking skills? ¿Quiere mejorar su habilidad de hablar y entender inglés?
Date: Every other Friday beginning October 3rd Cuando: Cado otro viernes empezando el 3 de octubre
Time: 2:30pm to 3:30pm Hora: 2:30pm to 3:30pm
Location: Goodwill’s Roanoke Jobs Campus – 2502 Melrose Ave., NW, Roanoke Donde: Goodwill’s Roanoke Jobs Campus – 2502 Melrose Ave., NW, Roanoke
We invite you to join a Conversational Group especially designed for Hispanic Women in a relaxed environment. To register, please call 540.581.0620 ext. 213. La invito a participar en un grupo diseñado especialmente para la mujer hispana en un ambiente relajado. Para registrarse, llame al 540.581.0620 ext. 213.
Enter Goodwill’s Halloween Costume Contest for your chance to win a iPad Mini. We are looking for the most creative, individual, and “thrifty” Halloween ensembles you can find.
Here’s how to enter:*
- Use your imagination and create a one of a kind Halloween costume
- Take a picture and send it, along with your:
- full name
- phone number
- e-mail address
- mailing address
- and information regarding your costume, such as how did you create it, where did you get it, who is wearing it, etc., to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Only completed entries will be accepted.
- All entries must be submitted by midnight on Sunday, October 26th
A panel will determine the top three costumes, which will be placed on our Good News Works blog, on Monday, October 27th. Be sure to vote for your favorite costume on the blog before Noon on Friday, October 31st. Tell your friends and family to vote, too! Winners will be announced and notified on Friday, October 31st. Throughout the month of October the fun and frightening entries will be placed on our Facebook Page!
*Click here to view our Terms and Conditions
1st prize iPad Mini
2nd prize $50 Goodwill Gift Certificate
3rd prize $25 Goodwill Gift Certificate
For more information or to get Halloween Costume ideas visit our Halloween Page.
Goodwill GoodGuides® Mentor Training
Goodwill Industries® of the Valleys is holding free training for Volunteer mentors in the GoodGuides Program. The training will be provided by the Virginia Mentoring Partnership. It will offer important and relevant information for anyone serving as a mentor to youth. The topic of Developing a Mentor Mindset will be covered, as well as the topics of Child Development, Culture, and Communications for Mentors.
Date: Thursday, November 13th
Time: 9am to 4pm
Locations: 2502 Melrose Avenue, Suite C, Roanoke
Young adults imagine the life they will have. But do they really know what it will take to reach their goals of the “dream life”? Reality Check helps them put it in perspective. Using real life situations and allowing the young adults to make their own decisions they become engaged in the process. Reality Check is fun, real, and an active program that allows youth to get a glimpse at what lies ahead in the “real world”.
Reality Check will be in the following locations in October:
10/30/2014 – Breckinridge Middle School – Roanoke City
Reality Check will be in the following locations in November:
11/3/2014 – Rustburg Middle School – Campbell County
11/12/2014 – Grayson County High School – Grayson County
11/19/2014 – James Madison Middle School – Roanoke City
11/25/2014 – Central Academy Middle School – Botetourt County
Reality Check will be in the following locations in December:
12/3/2014 – Stonewall Jackson Middle School – Roanoke City
12/10/2014 – Stuarts Draft Middle School – Augusta County
12/16/2014 – Lucy Addison Middle School – Roanoke City
12/18/2014 – Reed Mountain Middle School – Botetourt County
Reality Check will be in the following locations in January:
1/13/2015 – Fathers First – TAP
Reality Check will be in the following locations in February:
2/18/2015 – Noel C. Taylor – Roanoke City
2/25/2015 – Hollins University – Roanoke County
Reality Check will be in the following locations in March:
3/12/2015 – Botetourt County High School – Botetourt County
Reality Check will be in the following locations in April:
4/08/2015 – Wilson Middle School – Augusta County
4/15/2015 – Forest Park Academy – Roanoke City
4/22/2015 – Franklin County High School – Franklin County
Reality Check will be in the following locations in May:
5/01/2015 – STEM Program – GoodGuides®
5/21/2015 – Beverly Manor – Augusta County
If you are interested in volunteering in one of the Reality Check’s listed above, please email Sarah Stephens at SStephens@goodwillvalleys.com or call (540) 581.0620 ext. 222
For more information on Reality Check, e-mail email@example.com or call (540) 581.0620 option 6.
Goodwill offers Job Seeker Events each month that are free and open to the public.
- Job Fairs – Goodwill partners with local businesses that are looking to hire to host job fairs, which are free and open to the public.
- Job Seeker Workshops – Designed to give job seekers the skills necessary to succeed in a highly competitive job market, these seminars and workshops are free and open to the public. Space is limited, job seekers must register to attend.
- Job Clubs – Free and open to the public, job clubs are weekly and monthly opportunities for job seekers to:
- meet and interact with one another
- share job search tips, and results
- gain insight to assist as they prepare for their career
- engage with an interactive group
- leave feeling recharged and ready to find their new job
General Goodwill Information
Goodwill Industries of the Valleys, a United Way partner organization headquartered in Roanoke, serves 31 counties and 13 cities in the New River, Roanoke, and Shenandoah Valleys. Its mission is to help people and families in our community achieve a better life through work and independence. In 2013 Goodwill assisted 89,759 individuals and in this difficult employment market placed 2,894 people into jobs in our community.