- In This Section
- Story Ideas Form
Looking for a Good News Story or a way for your audience to get involved in the community? Some happenings at Goodwill® that might interest you:
- Lynchburg Titans Donation Drive - Lynchburg Area
- AAA Luggage Trade-In - Lynchburg Area
- Goodwill Treasure Hunt - New River Valley, Wytheville, and Galax Area
- Where’s EDGAR - New River Valley Area
- Wytheville Relocation & New Store Opening - Wytheville
- Bag It Up! - Throughout 31 County Territory in Virginia
- Job Seeker Events - Roanoke & Madison Heights
- Reality Check Events in 2014 – Throughout 31 County Territory in Virginia
- Goodwill Launches Companion Care Services - Roanoke Area
For more information on any of the stories listed below please contact:
Kelly Coleman, Senior Director, Marketing and Community Relations
Office: (540) 581.0620 ext. 107
Cell Phone: (540) 525.5728
Goodwill has partnered up with the Lynchburg Titans to host a donation drive.
Bring your unwanted items to the Lynchburg Titans Game
Saturday, March 15th at 7pm
Pack Your Bags!
It’s time to Trade In and Trade Up with Goodwill and AAA Mid-Atlantic.
Trade In your gently used luggage at Goodwill.
Trade Up at your local AAA store and receive a discount on new luggage.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
1. Trade-In: Donate gently used luggage at a participating Goodwill Donation Location
2. Trade-Up: Receive a discount voucher to shop AAA.
3. Save Up: To an additional $30 on a new lightweight luggage.
For participating AAA Mid-Atlantic stores click here. For Goodwill Retail Store and Donation Centers.
Grab your friends and family and join Goodwill
March 23rd through March 29th
for the Goodwill Treasure Hunt
Your hunt will lead you to the New River Valley, Wytheville, and Galax area Goodwill Stores where you will search for the buried treasure, found on the Goodwill Treasure List. Once you have completed and submitted your Treasure Hunt, you will be entered into a random drawing for your chance to win a $250 Visa Gift Card.* Participating Goodwill Retail Stores:
- Blacksburg: 1411 North Main Street
- Christiansburg: 255 Peppers Ferry Road, NE
- Fairlawn: 7489 Lee Highway
- Galax: 1015 East Stuart Drive
- Pearisburg: 308 North Main Street
- Wytheville: 1155 North 4th Street
Here’s How to Participate:
1. Search the participating Goodwill Retail Stores during the week of March 23rd through March 29th, to find items on the Goodwill Treasure Hunt List.
2. Once you find the items, see a store employee who will document that the item was found.
3. Your Treasure Hunt is complete once you have found at least 25 of the 30 items.
4. Your finds must come from at least two of the six participating Goodwill Retail Stores. Treasure hunters do not have to find every item at every store – visit all stores participating to complete your hunt as quickly as possible.
5. Once an individual or group has completed the Goodwill Treasure List; they are to give the list, including their contact information, to a manager on duty.
6. Treasure Hunters who fully completed and submit the Goodwill Treasure List will be placed into a random drawing for their chance to win:
1st prize $250 Visa Gift Card
2nd prize $50 Goodwill Gift Certificate
3rd prize $25 Goodwill Gift Certificate
Start your Goodwill Treasure Hunt beginning March 23rd! Click Here to print out a Goodwill Treasure List.
*Click Here to view our Terms and Conditions
Have you been wanting to meet Goodwill’s little green man, EDGAR?
Follow Goodwill Valleys on Facebook during the week of March 23rd through March 29th, as we post daily clues about where EDGAR will be in our service area.
On Saturday, March 29th, EDGAR will be at two of our Goodwill Retail Stores in the New River Valley area.
He will be available for high fives, knuckle bumps, pictures and much more. We will also have free giveaways to hand out and signed autographs of EDGAR. Be sure to check out Goodwill Valleys on Facebook for more information and clues.
Goodwill Relocation Sale
Monday, March 17th – Saturday March 22nd
Wytheville Goodwill Store – 1155 North 4th Street
Clothing, Shoes, & Purses – $1
Wares & Books – 5 for $1.
Goodwill Wytheville Store Grand Opening
Wednesday, March 26th
Wytheville New Goodwill Store -195 East Commonwealth Drive
The Tie-Cutting Ceremony will be held at 8:45am, with doors opening at 9:00am.
- The first 200 customers will receive a free shopping tote.
- Enter to win a flat screen TV
- Thousands of items at great prices.
Grand Opening Celebrations continue through Sunday, March 30th.
Goodwill Industries® of the Valleys and Girl Scouts of Virginia Skyline Council are excited to announce the 5th annual “Bag It Up!” The event will take place on Saturday, March 29, 2014 from 10am to 7pm at all Goodwill retail stores and attended donation centers in a 31 county area. Local Girl Scouts will be collecting gently used clothing, toys, and household goods to benefit Goodwill Industries of the Valleys. In return, Girl Scouts will earn two $10 vouchers to Goodwill for each donation bin filled. These vouchers will be given to needy families and/or organizations at the Girl Scout troop’s discretion. Bag It Up! is an effort to collect material donations to benefit Goodwill, teach Girl Scouts various life lessons including environmental responsibility and social consciousness, and help the community at the same time. Goodwill uses the proceeds from the sale of donated goods to fund training and employment programs to help individuals get back to work. Last year Goodwill served 89,759 people in our community and kept over 14 million pounds of material out of area landfills through salvage and recycling efforts. Participating Girl Scouts will learn more about a large nonprofit, recycling, reusing, and repurposing, as well as how to give back to the community through the distribution of the vouchers they have worked to earn.
Goodwill partners with local businesses that are looking to hire. These job fairs and workshops are open to the public.
ROANOKE JOBS CAMPUS
Adams Construction has the following job openings: Dump Truck Driver, Paving Supervisors, Distributor Operators, Paving Operators, Roller Operators.
Date: Thursday, March 6th
Time: 10am to 12pm
Location: Roanoke Jobs Campus – 2502 Melrose Ave., Suite B. Roanoke
“Beyond Jobs” Job Fair
Employers will include: Adecco, Care Advantage, City of Roanoke, Dish, Freedom First, Goodwill Industries of the Valleys, Medical Facilities of America, Randstad, Richfield, SMX Staffing, and Wells Fargo.
Date: Thursday, March 13th
Time: 10am to 2pm
Location: Roanoke Jobs Campus – 2502 Melrose Ave., Suite B, Roanoke
MADISON HEIGHTS JOBS CENTER
GCA Staffing will be accepting applications for production line workers.
Date: Monday, March 10th
Time: 10:30am to 1:30pm
Location: Madison Heights Jobs Center – 174 River James Shopping Center
Reality Check Events 2014
Reality Check is a Goodwill Industries of the Valleys interactive financial fitness forum that teaches area youth that responsibilities in life extend beyond portable communication devices, video games, and hanging out with friends. Reality Check is available throughout Goodwill’s 31 counties, 13 cities service area. For more information about Reality Check click here.
Reality Check will be in the following schools during the Spring 2014 school year:
- March 3rd: Bedford County: Staunton River High School
- March 6th: Botetourt County: Lord Botetourt High School
- March 12th: Roanoke City: Stonewall Jackson
- March 19th: Roanoke City: Forest Park Academy
- March 20th: Roanoke City: School to Work Program
- March 26th: Botetourt County: James River High School
- April 1st: Roanoke City: Father’s First Program
- April 9th: Augusta County: Wilson Middle School
- April 16th: Franklin County: Franklin County High School
- April 23rd: Hollins University
- May 22nd: Augusta County: Beverly Manor Middle School
For more information on Reality Check, e-mail email@example.com or call (540) 581.0620 option 6.
Good Choice Companions is a division of Goodwill Industries of the Valleys. The mission of Goodwill is “Helping people and families in our community achieve a better life through work and independence.” Good Choice Companions is another way to continue this mission.
“We are very excited to launch Good Choice Companions,” states Jodi Henrickson, Senior Director, Commercial Services for Goodwill. “Good Choice Companions allows us to not only provide jobs and training for individuals who are our companions, but it also piggy-backs on our expertise in case management and helping individuals achieve their highest level of independence.”
Families face difficult times when a loved one’s condition affects their safety and independence. A Good Choice companion can provide the assistance needed at home to maintain a safe and independent lifestyle. The non-medical companions provide services to seniors and other individuals who need extra assistance; helping them feel comfortable and allowing them to remain independent in their home.
- Reminder services (medications, dates, routines, etc.)
- Preparing meals and feeding
- Providing companionship and conversation
- Helping with daily choices (clothing to wear, etc.)
- Assisting with houseplants, making grocery lists, clipping coupons, etc.)
- Performing light housekeeping, house plant maintenance
- Running errands (prescription pick-up, dry cleaning, grocery shopping, etc.)
- Organizing and reading mail
- Escorting to appointments (doctor appointments, social engagements, religious services, etc.)
- Assisting with pet care
- Entertaining (games, crafts, reading, etc.)
- Visiting with neighbors or friends
Each companion undergoes interviewing, companion care testing, and screening prior to employment. Once hired they receive training to be CPR certified as well as first-aid, blood-borne pathogen, and soft skills trainings in order to provide clients with the best possible service. Further all companions receive monthly training in job related issues. Clients are then matched with companions that fit the needs and individual circumstances.
For more information on Good Choice Companions visit www.goodchoicecompanions.com.
General Goodwill Information
Goodwill Industries of the Valleys, a United Way partner organization headquartered in Roanoke, serves 31 counties and 13 cities in the New River, Roanoke, and Shenandoah Valleys. Its mission is to help people and families in our community achieve a better life through work and independence. In 2013 Goodwill assisted 89,759 individuals and in this difficult employment market placed 2,894 people into jobs in our community.