Events and News
Goodwill Events and News for Southwest Virginia
For information on Goodwill events and news in your community including, Donation Drives, Job Fairs, and more visit our Facebook page. If you have any questions, please call Kelly Coleman, Vice President of Marketing at (540) 581-0620 ext. 107 or Elizabeth Milne, Marketing and Community Development Manager at (540) 581.0620 ext. 174.
Click on the links below for more information on our events:
- GoodGuides® Fall Fun Day – Roanoke Area
- Retooling for Employment: Six Week Course – Roanoke Area
- Earn a Microsoft Office Digital Literacy Certificate – Roanoke Area
- PluggedInVA – Buena Vista
- Conversation Group for Hispanic Women Grupo de Conversación para la mujer hispana - Roanoke Area
- Goodwill Halloween Costume Contest - Throughout 31 County Territory in Virginia
- Youth and Family Services Fall Open House – Rocky Mount
- Goodwill GoodGuides® Mentor Training – Roanoke
- Goodwill Donation Drives – Roanoke & Lynchburg Area
- Reality Check – Throughout 31 County Territory in Virginia
- Job Seeker Events - Roanoke & Lynchburg Area
- Computer Classes - Roanoke & Lynchburg Area
Join Goodwill’s GoodGuides Youth Mentoring Program for a Day of Family Fun!
Saturday, November 1st
10am – 4pm
Goodwill Melrose Jobs Campus – 2502 Melrose Ave., NW
There will be activities for kids of all ages with local organizations and businesses, food vendors, music, and much more!
Bring a donation and help youth enrolled in GoodGuides to support the Goodwill Mission.
For more information contact Catherine Long at 540.529.4871 or email@example.com
A FREE six-week course to help you improve your skills for employment.
During the six week course you will:
- make a career plan
- learn basic computer skills
- enhance your professional skills
- learn to use digital technology
- complete an employment portfolio
- learn effective job search techniques
- create an account with Virginia Workfoce Connection
- earn employment readiness badges
- earn a Microsoft Office Digital Literacy Certificate
- network with local employers
Dates and Times:
October 7th through November 14th
Every Tuesdays & Thursdays from 8:30am to 10am
Fridays from 8:30am to 2pm with an open computer lab from 2:30pm to 4pm
To see a full listing of courses offered during this six-week course visit our Job Seeker Workshops Page.
Roanoke Jobs Campus – 2502 Melrose Ave., NW, Suite B, Roanoke, VA
This six-week course is sponsored by Bank of America. If you are interested in more information or to register, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 540.581.0620 ext. 213. Seats are limited, so register today!
In addition to the Retooling for Employment program, individuals can choose to take the Microsoft Office Digital Literacy Certificate course, separately.
Dates: Every Friday starting October 10th through November 14th
Times: 8:30am to 2pm
Location: Roanoke Jobs Campus – 2502 Melrose Ave., NW, Suite B, Roanoke, VA
This FREE six-week course is sponsored by Bank of America. If you are interested in more information or to register, please contact email@example.com or 540.581.0620 ext. 213. Seats are limited, so register today!
Looking for a Career? An opportunity awaits you!
PluggedInVA is a short-term program where you will get on the pathway to an exciting career that can take you places.
All classes are held at Dabney S. Lancaster Community College Rockbridge Regional Center in Buena Visa.
Classes are only four days a week!
You may be eligible for tuition assistance and supportive services.
Program begins November 10th. Register today by calling 540.463.7386
Conversation Group for Hispanic Women Grupo de Conversación para la mujer hispana
Would you like to improve your English speaking skills? ¿Quiere mejorar su habilidad de hablar y entender inglés?
Date: Every other Friday beginning October 3rd Cuando: Cado otro viernes empezando el 3 de octubre
Time: 2:30pm to 3:30pm Hora: 2:30pm to 3:30pm
Location: Goodwill’s Roanoke Jobs Campus – 2502 Melrose Ave., NW, Roanoke Donde: Goodwill’s Roanoke Jobs Campus – 2502 Melrose Ave., NW, Roanoke
We invite you to join a Conversational Group especially designed for Hispanic Women in a relaxed environment. To register, please call 540.581.0620 ext. 213. La invito a participar en un grupo diseñado especialmente para la mujer hispana en un ambiente relajado. Para registrarse, llame al 540.581.0620 ext. 213.
Enter Goodwill’s Halloween Costume Contest for your chance to win a iPad Mini. We are looking for the most creative, individual, and “thrifty” Halloween ensembles you can find.
Here’s how to enter:*
- Use your imagination and create a one of a kind Halloween costume
- Take a picture and send it, along with your:
- full name
- phone number
- e-mail address
- mailing address
- and information regarding your costume, such as how did you create it, where did you get it, who is wearing it, etc., to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Only completed entries will be accepted.
- All entries must be submitted by midnight on Sunday, October 26th
A panel will determine the top three costumes, which will be placed on our Good News Works blog, on Monday, October 27th. Be sure to vote for your favorite costume on the blog before Noon on Friday, October 31st. Tell your friends and family to vote, too! Winners will be announced and notified on Friday, October 31st. Throughout the month of October the fun and frightening entries will be placed on our Facebook Page!
*Click here to view our Terms and Conditions
1st prize iPad Mini
2nd prize $50 Goodwill Gift Certificate
3rd prize $25 Goodwill Gift Certificate
For more information or to get Halloween Costume ideas visit our Halloween Page.
Youth and Family Services Fall Open House
Join Goodwill Industries of the Valleys to learn more about the Mentoring and Youth to Work Programs
Tuesday, October 28th
5pm to 7pm
1045 North Main Street, Rocky Mount
Hear from youth, who have participated in the programs, as they share their experiences!
Meet Program Staff and other Community Partners. * Light refreshments will be served.
For more information or to RSVP please call Stephanie Hoer at 540.581.0620 ext. 143
Goodwill GoodGuides® Mentor Training
Goodwill Industries® of the Valleys is holding free training for Volunteer mentors in the GoodGuides Program. The training will be provided by the Virginia Mentoring Partnership. It will offer important and relevant information for anyone serving as a mentor to youth. The topic of Developing a Mentor Mindset will be covered, as well as the topics of Child Development, Culture, and Communications for Mentors.
Date: Thursday, November 13th
Time: 9am to 4pm
Locations: 2502 Melrose Avenue, Suite C, Roanoke
Goodwill has teamed up with local businesses to host Donation Drives
- Babcock & Wilcox Donation Drive
Date: Wednesday, October 1st through Tuesday, October 7th
- Orvis Employee Drive
Date: October 3rd through October 17th
Location: 1711 Blue Hill Drive, NE, Roanoke, VA
- Yokohama Tire ECO Drive
Date: October 4th
Location: 1500 Indiana St, Salem, VA 24153
Goodwill has teamed up with local schools to host week-long donation drives. During these drives, students are educated about the importance of recycling and giving back to people in their community. They also get a chance to meet Goodwill’s superhero EDGAR! During the week-long donation drive, students are encouraged to bring gently used donations to school. All donations support Goodwill stores and programs in our community
- Robert E. Lee High School – Staunton
Date: September 29th through October 3rd
- Pulaski Elementary School
Date: October 6th through October 10th
Young adults imagine the life they will have. But do they really know what it will take to reach their goals of the “dream life”? Reality Check helps them put it in perspective. Using real life situations and allowing the young adults to make their own decisions they become engaged in the process. Reality Check is fun, real, and an active program that allows youth to get a glimpse at what lies ahead in the “real world”.
Reality Check will be in the following locations in October:
10/2/2014 – Sandusky Middle School – Lynchburg City
10/8/2014 – Benjamin Franklin Middle School – Franklin County
10/16/2014 – Dunbar Middle School – Lynchburg City
10/22/2014 – Liberty High School – Bedford County
10/30/2014 – Breckinridge Middle School – Roanoke City
Reality Check will be in the following locations in November:
11/3/2014 – Rustburg Middle School – Campbell County
11/12/2014 – Grayson County High School – Grayson County
11/19/2014 – James Madison Middle School – Roanoke City
11/25/2014 – Central Academy Middle School – Botetourt County
Reality Check will be in the following locations in December:
12/3/2014 – Stonewall Jackson Middle School – Roanoke City
12/10/2014 – Stuarts Draft Middle School – Augusta County
12/16/2014 – Lucy Addison Middle School – Roanoke City
12/18/2014 – Reed Mountain Middle School – Botetourt County
Reality Check will be in the following locations in January:
1/13/2015 – Fathers First – TAP
Reality Check will be in the following locations in February:
2/18/2015 – Noel C. Taylor – Roanoke City
2/25/2015 – Hollins University – Roanoke County
Reality Check will be in the following locations in March:
3/12/2015 – Botetourt County High School – Botetourt County
Reality Check will be in the following locations in April:
4/08/2015 – Wilson Middle School – Augusta County
4/15/2015 – Forest Park Academy – Roanoke City
4/22/2015 – Franklin County High School – Franklin County
Reality Check will be in the following locations in May:
5/01/2015 – STEM Program – GoodGuides®
5/21/2015 – Beverly Manor – Augusta County
If you are interested in volunteering in one of the Reality Check’s listed above, please email Sarah Stephens at SStephens@goodwillvalleys.com or call (540) 581.0620 ext. 222
For more information on Reality Check, e-mail email@example.com or call (540) 581.0620 option 6.
Goodwill offers Job Seeker Events each month that are free and open to the public.
- Job Fairs - Goodwill partners with local businesses that are looking to hire to host job fairs, which are free and open to the public.
- Job Seeker Workshops - Designed to give job seekers the skills necessary to succeed in a highly competitive job market, these seminars and workshops are free and open to the public. Space is limited, job seekers must register to attend.
- Job Clubs - Free and open to the public, job clubs are weekly and monthly opportunities for job seekers to:
- meet and interact with one another
- share job search tips, and results
- gain insight to assist as they prepare for their career
- engage with an interactive group
- leave feeling recharged and ready to find their new job
Goodwill is offering basic computer classes at:
- Roanoke Job Campus - 2502 Melrose Ave., NW, Suite B, Roanoke, VA - (540) 767.0372
- Madison Heights Jobs Center - 174 River James Shopping Center, Madison Heights, VA - (434) 200.9920
One-to-one computer tutoring is available, by appointment only, at:
- Charlottesville Virginia Workforce Center - 2211 Hydraulic Rd., Charlottesville, VA – (434) 963.2960
- Harrisonburg Workforce Center - 160 North Mason Street, Harrisonburg, VA – (540) 433.4864
One-to-one computer tutoring and small group training (2 to 3 people) is also available at:
- Career Connection Centers located within Goodwill stores in Harrisonburg, Madison Heights, Martinsville, and Staunton.
All classes, one-to-one computer tutoring, and small group training are free and open to the public. Classes include: Job Search, Internet Skills, Microsoft Office, and Computer Basic. Click here for a list of all classes available. Call to register as space is limited. If you register and find you cannot make it, please call to cancel to allow room for others.