Events and News
- In This Section
Goodwill Events and News for Southwest Virginia
For information on Goodwill events and news in your community including, Donation Drives, Job Fairs, and more visit our Facebook page. If you have any questions, please call Kelly Coleman, Vice President of Marketing at (540) 581.0620 ext. 107 or Elizabeth Milne, Marketing and Community Development Manager at (540) 581.0620 ext. 174.
Click on the links below for more information on our events:
- Growing Goodwill® Community Garden Design Meeting
- PluggedInVA Customer Care Representative
- Electronics Recycling at the Business & Technology Showcase
- Home Pickups
- Job Seeker Events
- Reality Check
Growing Goodwill® Community Garden Design Meeting
You are invited to learn about and help design the Growing Goodwill Community Garden. Join us as we discuss the development of the community garden, edible Food Forest and greenhouse project in the Shenandoah West neighborhood.
All are welcome. Partners include Goodwill Industries® of the Valleys, the Roanoke Community Garden Association and students from the Virginia Tech Landscape Architecture program.
Where and when:
Goodwill Industries of the Valleys
2502 Melrose Avenue at the ‘Work Center’ Door
Roanoke, VA 24017
Thursday, January 29th, 5:30-7:30 pm
For more information contact Mark Powell at 540.904.3122
PluggedInVA Customer Care Representative
Get on the pathway to an exciting career!
- Career training is geared specifically towards Faneuil, Inc. in Clifton Forge. (Additional employment opportunities could be available at various employer locations.)
- Classes meet at DSLCC three days a week for only six weeks.
- Funding for program and credentials is available for qualified applicants.
- Opportunity to earn credentials for employment!
February 3 to March 12, 2015
Dabney S. Lancaster Community College, McCarthy Hall, Room 504
1000 Dabney Drive Clifton Forge, VA 24422
Credentialing: March 17 and 18, 9am to 1pm
Job Interviews: Upon program completion
Space is limited. Apply early to ensure your spot in this exciting new program.
Click here for more information.
Electronics Recycling at the Business & Technology Showcase
Goodwill will be collecting used electronics at the Salem Roanoke County Chamber of Commerce’s Business & Technology Showcase on February 11th from 4pm to 7pm at the Salem Civic Center.
Visit the Salem Roanoke County Chamber of Commerce website for more information.
Goodwill Industries of the Valleys is pleased to offer Home Pick Up Service to its’ donors with larger donations.
“The purpose of Goodwill’s Home Pickup Service is to assist our donors that do not have the resources to bring large items to our donor doors,” states Mindy Boyd, Vice President of Donated Goods. “We are now able to better meet the needs of our donors that may be downsizing their home or that of a loved one or remodeling and need to donate a large quantity or several larger pieces.”
Other considerations to remember in regards to Goodwill’s Home Pick Up Service:
- Goodwill utilizes large box trucks, which are more than 13 feet tall. Your home must allow trucks of this size to come and go without causing damage to your property or the truck.
- Due to insurance requirements, Goodwill employees are not able to climb or descend multiple steps. Items you wish to donate should be located on the ground floor.
There are a few items that Goodwill is unfortunately not able to accept. These include:
- Oxygen tanks
- Propane tanks
- Large appliances
- Mattresses and box springs
Job Seeker Events
Goodwill offers Job Seeker Events each month that are free and open to the public.
- Job Fairs – Goodwill partners with local businesses that are looking to hire to host job fairs, which are free and open to the public.
- Job Seeker Workshops – Designed to give job seekers the skills necessary to succeed in a highly competitive job market, these seminars and workshops are free and open to the public. Space is limited, job seekers must register to attend.
- Job Clubs – Free and open to the public, job clubs are weekly and monthly opportunities for job seekers to:
- meet and interact with one another
- share job search tips, and results
- gain insight to assist as they prepare for their career
- engage with an interactive group
- leave feeling recharged and ready to find their new job
For more information or to see a listing of Job Seeker Events click here or visit our Facebook Page. Sign up to receive monthly Job Seeker Events Emails by clicking here.
Young adults imagine the life they will have. But do they really know what it will take to reach their goals of the “dream life”? Reality Check helps them put it in perspective. Using real life situations and allowing the young adults to make their own decisions they become engaged in the process. Reality Check is fun, real, and an active program that allows youth to get a glimpse at what lies ahead in the “real world”.
Reality Check will be in the following locations in January:
1/13/2015 – Fathers First – TAP
1/16/2015 – Lucy Addison Middle School – Roanoke City
1/21/2015 – CSWAP – Melrose Jobs Campus
Reality Check will be in the following locations in February:
2/18/2015 – Noel C. Taylor – Roanoke City
2/25/2015 – Hollins University – Roanoke County
Reality Check will be in the following locations in March:
3/12/2015 – Botetourt County High School – Botetourt County
Reality Check will be in the following locations in April:
4/08/2015 – Wilson Middle School – Augusta County
4/15/2015 – Forest Park Academy – Roanoke City
4/22/2015 – Franklin County High School – Franklin County
Reality Check will be in the following locations in May:
5/01/2015 – STEM Program GoodGuides® - Melrose Jobs Campus
5/21/2015 – Beverly Manor – Augusta County
Reality Check will be in the following locations in September:
09/23/2015 – Woodrow Wilson MS – Roanoke City
Reality Check will be in the following locations in October:
10/08/2015 – Sandusky MS – Lynchburg City
10/15/2015 – Dunbar MS – Lynchburg City
10/28/2015 – Breckinridge MS – Roanoke City
Reality Check will be in the following locations in November:
11/02/2015 – Rustburg MS – Campbell County
11/24/2015 – Central Academy – Botetourt County
Reality Check will be in the following locations in December:
12/17/2015 – Reed Mountain MS – Botetourt County
If you are interested in volunteering in one of the Reality Check’s listed above, please email Sarah Stephens at SStephens@goodwillvalleys.com or call 540.581.0620 ext. 222
For more information on Reality Check, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 540.581.0620 option 6.