Events and News
Goodwill Events and News for Southwest Virginia
For information on Goodwill events and news in your community including, Donation Drives, Job Fairs, and more visit our Facebook page.
If you have any questions, please call Lucie Touchton, Marketing Manager at (540) 581-0620 x174.
Click on the links below for more information on our events:
- Round it Up for Goodwill Programs
- Goodwill NOT Landfill – Donation Drives with Local Colleges
- Goodwill Partners with Local Elementary Schools for Donation Drives
When customers shop at Goodwill they will be asked if they would like to “Round Up” their purchase to the nearest dollar amount. The money raised through this campaign helps fund Goodwill job training and employment programs for people in our community.
From April through June customer’s leftover change will support Goodwill programs for adults with disabilities, such as Organizational Employment (OE), Community Work Adjustment Training (CWAT), and Medicaid Waiver.
OE and CWAT programs help adults with disabilities find jobs and earn a paycheck. Donations will be used to purchase computers and smart boards for employment training.
Medicaid Waiver programs help individuals with the most severe disabilities gain greater independence. Fund generated through Round Up support music therapy for participants.
In January, February, and March, customers donated a total of $46,467 to fund Goodwill programs.
Goodwill is partnering with local colleges to collect items that students, who move out of their apartments and dorms, don’t need any more. These donation drives benefit the Goodwill mission and support job training and employment programs for people in our communities.
Participating colleges include:
Foxridge Apartments Blacksburg: Friday, May 10th – Monday, August 26th
- EDGAR donation boxes will be placed at Hunters Mill Rd, Foxhunt Lane, Briarwood Pool, and Blue Ridge Drive; Click here for a map
- On May 17th & 18th, June 8th & 22nd, July 13th & 27th, and August 3rd from 11am to 4pm you can bring larger and breakable donations to our donation collection site at Cardinal Court or schedule a pick up by calling (540) 524 0079 (pick ups need to be scheduled 24 hrs in advance; items must be brought to ground level)
- Click here to see the flyer
Roanoke College: Thursday, April 25th – end of May
- Goodwill donation boxes are located in student residence halls.
- EDGAR donation boxes are available on campus for 24hr donations.
- Click here to see the flyer.
Clothing, shoes, purses, belts, books, games, CDs & DVDs, household items, furniture, carpets, electronics, computers & computer equipment, small appliances, and canned/non-perishable food.
Items Not Accepted
Major appliances, mattresses, box springs, pads, futons, upholstered furniture with stains or holes, and perishable food.
For more information on Goodwill donation drives call Lucie Touchton at (540) 581.0620 ext. 174.
Between February and May, Goodwill is teaming up with local elementary schools who host donation drives to benefit Goodwill. The donation drives give students the opportunity to learn about the importance of giving back and helping others in their community, while also helping the environment and utilizing Goodwill as an alternative for recycling, repurposing, and reusing materials. Goodwill’s mascot EDGAR® (Educating that Donations to Goodwill Are Recyclable) joins students at a pre-drive pep rally to explain why their donations make a difference in their community.
Students will collect donations using donation boxes placed in their class room. At certain days and times there will also be a Goodwill truck on campus.
For more information on hosting a Goodwill donation drive at your school, contact
Lucie Touchton, Marketing Manager
Office: (540) 581.0620 ext. 174
Cell phone: (540) 529.9290